Banks' Exposure to Mainland China
Fitch Ratings’ data file tracks the mainland China exposure (MCE) of banks in light of increasing attention on China risks. The spreadsheets track key data series on a global, Hong Kong system and individual bank level.
The data file is provided in Excel as a service to investors to enhance transparency and enable them to repackage the data as they see fit. Fitch included its most frequently used charts published in its previous research to allow for a quick overview of each spreadsheet. The MCE data file will be updated semi-annually, and we expect to incorporate more interactive functionality in later versions.
1. Foreign Banks' Claims on China
The mainland China exposure of foreign banks in 27 countries since end-2009, cited on an annual basis. APAC includes Singapore, Taiwan, Macao, Japan, Australia, India, South Korea; Singapore and Taiwan exposure numbers are Fitch estimates. We also provide a breakdown of the exposures for selected countries.
2. Hong Kong Banking System's Mainland China Exposure
-Annual data since 2008, quarterly data since 2010. We also provide our view of banks' asset split by geography.
-Breakdown of Hong Kong banking system's mainland China exposure by products, lenders and borrowers on a quarterly basis since end-2013.
- Market share distribution (MCE, assets, deposits) between the six HK D-SIBs, other incorporated banks and foreign banks' HK branches. Smi-annual basis, starting end-2014.
3. Hong Kong Banks
-Mainland China exposure of 14 Hong Kong banks, available on semi-annual basis since end-2010. We provide a split into bank and non-bank exposure as well as a breakdown of the non-bank portion by borrowers. The drop-down function allows for customisation of the chart through deletion/selection of banks.
4. Foreign Banks' Hong Kong Branches
- Mainland China exposure of 14 foreign banks' Hong Kong branches on a semi-annual basis since end-2014. We provide a split into bank and non-bank exposure as well as a breakdown of the non-bank portion by borrowers.
5. Loan-Quality Measures of Hong Kong and Chinese Banks
The file also includes charts on the loan quality of individual Hong Kong banks and large Chinese banks.
- For Hong Kong banks the drop-down menu will generate the chart for the total impaired-loan ratio as well as banks' China NPL ratios; the latter are based on customer location after taking into account risk transfer, or disclosure by the banks' China subsidiaries, whichever is available.
- Loan quality measures for Chinese banks are NPLs/gross loans and the same ratio including special mention loans.